Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Rocking Weekend

My weekend pretty much rocked. It started out Friday afternoon with people slowly gathering at my apartment. We played Rock Band as we passed the time. Eventually, seven of us went out to Pancheros for food before heading off to a rock concert in Waterloo. The concert showcased Papa Roach, Seether, and Staind in that order with State of Shock as the opener. I think I can speak for all of us when I say we were shocked (pun intended) by the quality of the opener. They were just as good as the other bands. I will say though they are a lot better live than recorded. I still like their recordings, but they need to play their music a little harder in the studio. They're awesome live though. Seether turned out to be a bit of a disappointment, but Papa Roach and Staind rocked. I had a little problem by the time Staind came out just because I was so exhausted from the mosh pit by then. It turned out to be about a 4.5 hour show by the time all was said and done. I think I have to tip my hat to Staind though as the best band there. Afterall, how can you top "Silence Gets Us Nowhere"??

After the concert, we went back and played a few more hours of Rock Band for absolutely no good reason. Well, okay, I sat there and watched because I couldn't sing due to losing my voice at the concert and I was letting the new people get their opportunity on the instruments. They were finally starting to get the hang of it by 3am.

Saturday came and with it UNI's FCS Quarterfinal Playoff Game vs. New Hampshire. I believe the largest lead of the game was 9 points with a combined total of 9 turnovers, 1 blocked punt, 1 blocked extra point attempt, and 1 safety off of the blocked punt. It was ridiculous. Fortunatley, UNI won 36-34. My boy, D. Law, did not have a great game due simply to our gameplan which did not get him ball much. We had front row seats again and got a few new people to join us. It sounds like one is willing to come back with us this week to the semifinal game. The cool thing about the semifinal is it will be on ESPN at 3pm on Saturday. We are making signs and intend to get front row seats again.

After the game resulted in the traditional run to Pancheros before making our way over to Tracy's. There was a party for Jordan who recently got back from spending a semester in Australia. Once the party wound down, we mosied back to my place to watch Eddie Izzard's Dress to Kill. This was still largely the same group from the whole weekend (Jess, Andrea, Matt, Curt, and me). This again went until 3-4 in the morning by the time I had picked up AJ from a Glee Club Christmas Concert Afterparty.

Sunday was supposed to be a day of reading for my paper I have due tomorrow. I tended to put most of it off because there were a number of good football games on. We also played a bit of Rock Band along with ordering Pizones from Pizza Hut. I spent the day trying not to talk since I destroyed my voice between the concert and the football game. Anyways, that was my phenomenal weekend. I may have to blog next week about this upcoming weekend. It sounds like it should be about just as busy!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home