Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Linux Success Story

So the other day, I received a phone call from my mother. My brother-in-law, Jamie, and I had just recently given her a "new" (used computer from my grandma) with Xubuntu installed on it. Then Thanksgiving break ended. So here's a paraphrased version of the phone call:

Me: Hello
Mom: Hello, is this a good time to talk?
Me: Um...(pause as I try not to die in Resistance 2 on the Playstation 3)
Mom: Well, I'll just make it quick then. Am I supposed to get something more than a black screen when I turn on the computer?
Me: Yeah...Do you see a green light?
Mom: Yes.
Me: Is it on the monitor?
Mom: Yes.
Me: Do you see a green light on the tower?
Mom: Let me look. No, I don't think so.
Me: Well you'll need to push the big button in the middle with the power symbol on it.
Mom: Give me a moment to find it. ... ... I'm not seeing it.
(Short period of time as I try to describe the big circle button smack dab in the middle of the front of the tower with the power symbol on it. I really don't recall how I did this as I was once again trying not to die while playing my game. Eventually, though, my mom found the button.)
Mom: Oh, I see something now!
Me: (heavy sigh because I finally died)
Mom: Well, it sounds like things are going so well. I should probably let you go.
(End of conversation)

The next day she called me about some random thing and mentioned how much she liked the new computer. This is the same lady who has a notecard with notes on it about how to turn on any computer she has ever owned. She implicitly said she liked a computer running Linux. Now if that's not a testimony to how easy Linux is becoming to use, I don't know what is.

P.S. I did have to teach her how to shut it down since the menu is in the upper right rather than the lower left...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home