Friday, October 17, 2008

Apatheism

So the other week, I was talking to a few people about religion. Being the group of humorous people that we are, we had got on the topic by making jokes about each other's respective denominations. I tend to bash on Catholics just because it's so easy. It just happens to turn out that the majority of the people I hang out with have a Catholic upbringing. Meanwhile, they enjoy bashing on Baptists (aka my upbringing). In other words, we have a mutual affection for each other.

The result of this conversation was that Dana, a roommate's girlfriend, and I decided while we were raised Baptist and Catholic, respectively, we know consider ourselves to be "apathists." This name being based on the word apathy, of course. We've dealt with the debates between Christianity and other religions, along with the debates between denominations. Ultimately, we've both come to the conclusion that we just don't care.

At least from my perspective, does it even matter if there is a God? I am going to go out into the world every day trying to be the best person I can be no matter what. It isn't about whether there is a Heaven or Hell. It isn't because I owe it to the community of humanity. It has nothing to do with anyone or anything other than myself. I want to be the best person I possibly can be. Do I need to believe in a God to do this? No. Am I an atheist for saying such? No. I am simply a person who does not care. These days, when someone asks me directly if I believe in God, I almost never give a direct answer. The reason is that it is not important to me. Thus, I have converted to apatheism.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Suzy From Austin said...

What about after this life? Do you care what happens then? I know your "I don't care" attitude is more leave me alone about it. I think you do care more than you are letting on.

October 20, 2008 at 2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home