Sunday, May 24, 2009

My Network

I spent most of my free time in the last week setting up computers the way I want them with some new technology. I had been eying the ideas for a while, but school had kept me too busy. I decided to write-up my current setup, and then I will extrapolate on each individual system in due time. Anyways, here is the general rundown on my network.

Trogdor (Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop Edition)
The computer I am on the most is my laptop. I use it as my workstation. All my regular applications are run on it. These include Pidgin (instant messenger), Thunderbird (email), Firefox (web browser), Eclipse (IDE), Spaz (Twitter) and Open Office (documents). Eclipse handles all my software development from C++ to PHP to database design. I also run a local LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP) server on Trogdor for easy testing of any web development.

Ellinore (Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop Edition 64-Bit)
Ellinore is my file server for the most part, but it is gaining an emphasis as a media server. She is hooked up to my tv allowing for easy playing of videos. Also is running Mediatomb, a streaming media server, to allow me to play music and videos on my Playstation 3.

The Beast (Ubuntu 8.04 Server Minimal Install)
This is a very old computer I managed to pick up from my parents for free. It essentially amounts to my sandbox. I configure various services on it to get a feel for them. I will also see what it takes to hack them just to get an idea for how secure a configuration really is.

Playstation 3 (N/A)
My Playstation 3 has no other operating system on it. I use it simply for playing videogames as well as watching videos or playing music. Some day I may put another OS on it, but for the time being, it is just there for pure enjoyment.

Linksys WRT54GL Router (Tomato firmware)
My router is a nice Linksys router with A/B/G wireless coverage and four 100mbps ports. I have the Beast, Ellinore, and the PS3 wired to it and connect to it over wireless with Trogdor. It is currently running Tomato rather than the Linksys default.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home